Stop Sexual Assault in Schools tracks school districts that violate students’ Title IX rights. SSAIS learns about non-compliant schools when families recount horrible experiences in their school districts. SSAIS also follows school districts that received bad press for sexual harassment/assault, sexual harassment bullying, sexual assault hazing, and other similar Title IX violations.
Do you know a school that has or continues to respond inappropriately to reported sexual harassment/assault? SSAIS maintains a list of non-compliant schools based on both families’ reports and media stories. With your help we can ensure that all school districts comply with Title IX to maintain a safe place for students. Please contact us with information.
One of our unique initiatives is “Adopt a School District.” It has tremendous potential to ensure that school districts are complying with Title IX. We need volunteers in each state. This is a simple project for individuals, student interns, clubs, youth groups, students, anyone! Intrigued? Contact us!
- Pick one school district anywhere in the U.S. or contact us for recommendations.
- Use the toolkit How to Gather Information About a School District’s Title IX Policy to collect information about the school policies and enforcement.
- Contact SSAIS if you need assistance.
- Email/mail the information to SSAIS.
- If you want to share your findings/comments, we’ll post them on our website.
- SSAIS will review the information, send it to the school, and educate the district about U.S. Dept. of Education regulations regarding Title IX and sexual harassment/assault.
You’ll become an investigator who will help us educate schools about Title IX compliance. Become a part of the solution to create learning environments free of sexual harassment.
When students and parents share findings with allies, they’ll be able to make change. SSAIS is here to help!
SSAIS is following these cases:
- Northeast School Corporation, IN. SSAIS brought media attention to this case. Read the family’s account of the assault and the school’s response.
- Warren Consolidated District, MI. OCR investigated after SSAIS assisted the violated student’s family. See OCR open investigation letter here.
- Angelton Independent School District, TX. Under OCR investigation that resulted from SSAIS assisting the violated student’s family.
- Tucson Unified School District, AZ. Came under OCR investigation. SSAIS made a public records request and provided information to a student when the student’s identifying information was released to the media without permission. View public documents provided by the district to SSAIS describing sexual harassment and assault here.
- Seattle Public School District, WA. SSAIS brought an OCR investigation to the district and continues to monitor events related to SSAIS’s prior advocacy. View the SSAIS and district documents here.