|Watch it Now
Part 1 Part 2
|Share it Now||read about It||Take Action|
is an innovative video for K-12 parents, middle and high school students, schools, and community organizations. It’s about gender equality in education, students’ protections under Title IX, and much more. Video Contents Media Reports Excerpts on our YouTube channel.
As high school students plan for their new gender equality group, we watch them interview nationally recognized education, legal, and LGBTQ experts and learn from counselors, advocates, parents, and students. The video offers simple steps and engaging activities to make schools safer with equal learning spaces for all students.
In Part 2, a teenage victim learns about her right to privacy and mandated reporting when she speaks with a victim’s advocate.
was created by parents who know—first hand—how important this information is for K-12 families. Share the video and Action Guide widely. Use the Presentation Guide to invite others to start the conversation!
is free of charge. Your tax-deductible donation helps to defray production costs and enables us to produce a Spanish language version. To make your donation, please use PayPal. Thank you!
Resources referenced in the video
In order mentioned
Intimidation of males, example article.
Learn about education equity resources at the National Women’s Law Center website
U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights
Consent education: “As a Rape Victim’s Mother I know Consent Education isn’t Enough”
SSAIS Title IX checklist
Start a Gender Equality club with this important guide: “Campus Activism: How to Become a NOW Activist in High School.”
- Questions and Answers on Title IX and Sexual Violence (PDF) U.S. Dept. of Education Note: OCR withdrew this guidance on 9/22/2017.
- Know Your Rights: Title IX Requires Your School to Address Sexual Violence (PDF) U.S. Dept. of Education Note: OCR withdrew this guidance on 9/22/2017.
- Title IX Requires Schools to Address Sexual Violence National Women’s Law Center
- How to Protect Students from Sexual Harassment: A Primer for Schools (PDF) National Women’s Law Center
- The Next Generation of Title IX: Harassment and Bullying Based on Sex (PDF) National Women’s Law Center
- Cyberbullying and Sexual Harassment: FAQs About Cyberbullying and Title IX (PDF) National Women’s Law Center
- Economic impact of sexual harassment National Women’s Law Center
- Challenges for girls of color National Women’s Law Center
- FAQs for LGBT or Gender Nonconforming Students and Their Families National Women’s Law Center
- Transgender Students’ Rights (PDF) National Women’s Law Center
- Teen Dating Violence Among LGBTQ human rights campaign
Know Your Rights
- Know Your Rights (SSAIS.org)
- Filing Complaints (SSAIS.org)
- Legal FAQs (SSAIS.org)
- Quick FAQs (SSAIS.org)
- Webinar: Suspended and Removed: How to Enforce a Student’s Right to School National Women’s Law Center
- Pregnant and Parenting Students’ Rights – What You Can Do (also applies to pre-college students)
Is Your School Title IX Compliant?
Problem with your school
Abuse by school staff
- Stop Educator Sexual Abuse, Misconduct, & Exploitation (S.E.S.A.M.E.)
- Talk About Abuse to Liberate Kids (TAALK)
Films, online talks, and PSAs
Sexual Assault Prevention
- SSAIS Awareness videos
- Dating Violence from Jewish Women International
- Gender based violence and prevention films from Media Education Fund
Sexual Objectification of Women
- The Sexy Lie Caroline Heldman at TEDxYouth@SanDiego
- Miss Representation The Representation Project
- UnSlut: A Documentary Film
- Masculinity and Identity from Media Education Fund
- Violence against women—it’s a men’s issue Ted Talk by Jackson Katz
- A Call to Men Ted Talk by Tony Porter
- My Masculinity Helps explores the role of African American men and boys in the prevention of sexual violence
- The Mask You Live In The Representation Project
- Gender Identity, Sexual Orientation & Culture films from Media Education Fund
Combating Campus Assault (preview recommended)
Selected films on sexual assault (preview recommended)
Books and Studies
- Student-to-Student Sexual Harassment K-12: Strategies and Solutions for Educators to Use in the Classroom, School, and Community R&L Education (2005)
- UnSlut: A Diary and a Memoir
- We Believe You
Selected studies and other resources about K-12 sexual harassment and gender equity
- SSAIS Library (SSAIS.org)
- Crossing the Line (AAUW)
- Reinvigorating the Role of Title IX Coordinator: A Requirement and Resource (Feminist Majority Foundation)
- Safe Place to Learn (National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments)
- Sexual Violence Among our Students: The School Counselor’s Legal Role (ASCA)
Talking to StudentsRead 1 item ↓
SSAIS thanks Terri L Rossi for supporting this page.